Sunday, April 19, 2015

Alexander Hamilton High's "Wiz" Was Wonderful


By Linda Thomas

As an Alexander Hamilton High School Drama Club alumni, it was natural for me to go see their upcoming musicals. My last performance at AHHS was "Footloose" in 2013; in 2014 I went to see "All Shook Up," which was an outstanding play. On March 21, 2015, I went to see a modern rendition of  "The Wiz: The Musical."

I was a little upset because I always wanted to be in "The Wiz" and they did it after I graduated but I was excited to see my underclassmen friends perform and my former teachers and directors conduct it well. As I was there in the audience, I felt nostalgic and excitement and nervousness for the performers. As I predicted, the performance was amazing!

One of my close underclassmen friends, Haleigh Brown, had the lead role as Dorothy and I was amazed at how well she did but not so surprised because I know from previous years from working with her and watching her perform that she would kill this performance and the role of Dorothy fit her perfectly. My other friends also had lead roles and ensemble roles and they all did so well and each role was played so well and each role was important.

I was also amazed by the new live orchestra; although previous years we had a live orchestra, this year's was larger. The directors, choreographer, vocal teachers, audio and stage directors conducted it so well. Stage crew also did so well making and changing the sets with ease and discreetly. The vocals and dancing were so great and did not fail to impress everyone. As expected for their amazing performance, the show ended with a standing ovation. AHHS Drama Club did not fail to amaze me and I wish I could perform with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment