Friday, April 17, 2015

"Aida" Rocks at North Rockland High School


By Jessica Mizzi

“Aida: the School Edition,” a musical by Elton John, came to North Rockland High School at the end of March.  I purchased a ticket almost immediately for the sole reason that I had been involved in the theatre department for the majority of my high school career, and therefore wanted to show my support.  Unsure about the plot of the show, I hoped that my $10 spent would be worthwhile, and it sure was.  In fact, I saw the show twice because I enjoyed it so much.

On opening night, the large auditorium of the high school was packed; a full house of families and friends anxious to see the show play out and to cheer on the actors and actresses that they knew well.  When the lights dimmed, my attention became completely focused on the wonderful set on the stage: a combination of Egyptian looking relics, realistic looking backdrops and scenery.  As the cast started to make their appearances on the stage, I was amazed at the beauty of their costumes as well; so elegant and true to the time period in which the show took place (Ancient Egypt in December of 1871).

The musical was a series of emotional twists and turns involving a Nubian princess, Aida, who was captured by the Egyptians and turned into a slave for a young Egyptian warrior, Ramedes.  The two fall in love, but the love turned complicated when it was discovered that Ramedes was engaged to an Egyptian princess.

The music was performed incredibly well by the pit orchestra and perfectly complimented the stunning acting, singing, and dancing that took place on stage.  My attention didn’t stray from the show in front of me, even when I saw it a second time around.  I definitely would give the North Rockland Drama Society a 5 out of 5 for this production, and can’t wait to see what they have in store for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment