Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ross Markman: Remarkable Reporter


By Kenny Kirshner

This feature story in Newswriting on Deadline on the life and times of reporter Ross Markman is very interesting. Markman works for the Havre Daily News and is just one of three reporters for the paper. The paper is located in central Montana with a circulation of about 4,500 readers.. I found it to be very interesting that there were only three reporters, even for just a tiny newspaper.

Markman covers three different areas for the Havre Daily News: county government, city government, and local schools. I agree with Markman when he said he is a fan of doing all three because it gives him greater experience. If I were just one of three reporters for a small paper, I would want to cover as many areas as I could to get to know what’s going on in the small town I was covering. I feel, however, that 10 articles a week is a lot to cover for one week, but when you are just one of three reporters, you got to do what you got to do.

Markman believed that internships really boosted his career and helped propel him to become a professional writer. He claimed he really knew nothing about the field until he finished his internship. I also believe internships can help a prospective writer/worker in any field. What I truly found remarkable was that Markman could write an article in about 30 minutes. This was due in part that he would write a background story on the meeting or event he was going to cover. This is definitely worth taking note of, as it will help a writer reach a tight deadline or get their work over in a quicker and easier fashion. A prospective writer should take note of this story on Ross Markman.

No comments:

Post a Comment