Monday, March 4, 2013

Ross Markman: Good Model for Aspiring Journalists


By Dan Longarino 

After reading the short bio of Ross Markman, I respect the way he goes about his work and see myself in him. I like the way he does his homework before actually going to an event/interview. I believe that being informed on the topic beforehand helps a great deal when it comes to covering the story. After reading his preparation process, I am nor surprised that he finishes his pieces so close to his deadlines.

His journey from college student to writer via internship connects with me. His situation sounds similar to the one I’m in now. When I went into my current internship at FOX, I had no idea how to do anything. Thankfully, many producers have taken me under their wings and I have learned a great deal in my short time thee so far.

 Markman’s piece on the parking issue is very well written. As I now know from reading his bio, he did his homework on the topic and is very well informed. His article covers the history of the issue, what’s being done about the issue and what certain people believe the solution to the issue is. I like the way it was formatted; it begins by discussing the attempt the city council made to solve the issue, followed by the opinion of the store owners who explain that writing tickets to the parkers would hurt their business. By getting these quotes Markman portrays the complexity of the situation. It caused me to try to formulate my own opinion on how to fix the problem. I couldn’t come up with one myself, which to me means he did a good job of explaining the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment