Tuesday, March 17, 2015

From Fan to Working for My Favorite Baseball Team


By Karina Maldonado

The New York Yankees is a prestigious baseball organization that has a reputation for winning.  When I was younger, my father taught me all the fundamentals of baseball.  Over time, I started to have a passion for the sport and for my beloved team, the Yankees.  During my adolescent years, I never thought I would ever work for my favorite baseball team.  At the time, I did not understand the behind the scenes work that goes into having a successful baseball organization.  I thought the Yankees were the baseball players who were on the field.  I finally realized it takes a small army for a whole franchise to work smoothly.  Once I found out the truth, I wanted to be a part of it.
   
The Yankees is a baseball team known worldwide.  I can only assume everyone wants to work for them.  I never thought in a million years I could be a part of a successful legacy.  I’m in my junior year of college now and the future is quickly approaching.  I have to start figuring out what I want to do for the rest of my life.  I know for a fact I want to work for a sports team, preferably in New York.  I am now in the process of looking for jobs/internships that can boost up my resume.  I sent my resume to several sports organizations around the tri-state area, hoping for at least an interview.  Finally, I received an interview with my beloved team, the Yankees.
   
I was extremely nervous going to the interview in Yankee Stadium.  Being able to just go to the ballpark without a game being played was mesmerizing.  The interview went well as I hoped, but life has no guarantees.  At first, I thought I did not get the job because I did not hear from them for months.  Over time, I accepted my rejection and kept on the job hunt.  Then one magical day, I received an email of congratulations.  I could not believe what I was reading.  The Yankees accepted me to work for them.  I became a Premium Service Host for the New York Yankees.
   
When I started doing the orientation process, I could not believe all the guidelines employees and ballplayers have to follow.  The Yankees expect nothing short of professionalism.  Even though their rules seemed intimidating, I was eager to learn and grow from the experience.  All of this can relate to media, because the organization wants to show they are perfect.  If we do not do our jobs correctly, it can lead to bad publicity.  Fans and news outlets are constantly looking at the organization.  This whole experience is showing me that everyone has an important job.  We all have to work together.
   
I officially start working this month and I am utterly excited.  I have the opportunity to network with important people and be around the game I love.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I am excited to see what lies next for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment