Saturday, April 5, 2014

Slightly Official


By Vincent Walker

To the general public, the Masonic Freemasons are seen as a mysterious entity and rumored to be part of the Illuminati out to carry out secret devious plots and pull the curtain over the eyes of the world. Contrary to such belief, the brotherhood known as the Masons is one of the oldest, most exclusive groups in the country having played a very important role in the creation of the  American nation  back in the 1700s.

Today this prestigious group takes on many helpful causes in the United States. One of those causes is education, specifically the education of learning disabled children, helping teach them how to read using a break-through specialized program called “Orton-Gillingham” to make sure that theses children are able to stand a fighting chance. I was one of the children taken in by this program funded by the Masons.

Shortly before I graduated the reading program, I was invited to speak at a Masonic meeting. I was told a large number people would be attending, but never expected what I actually ended up experiencing. It would turn out to be one of the most interesting, terrifying, and amazing experiences of my life.

I arrived at the center with my short speech in hand, which I had practiced and memorized, and was feeling pretty good, and found nothing to be to intimidated about  until I walked into the room where I would be speaking. It was a large room and had stadium style seating from floor to ceiling and not one chair was empty.  I stayed seated during the opening presenter’s speech. He was one of the higher up Freemasons, all dressed up covered in shining gold pins with symbols and logos, none of which I had any idea of the meaning behind.  He talked about the organization and services provided. He was loud and clear and had a direct tone; I think that helped set my mood.

I was then the next person to speak. I walked to the podium and, for the first time I could remember in my life, I felt so small and afraid. I glanced up and saw how many of those men were watching me, all making eye contact, or at least it felt like that. The fear was intense. 

Then I felt a flow of energy and empowerment, knowing that my words mattered to so many well dressed and important strangers, most of whom I’ve never seen in my life and may never again. I started my short speech and then glanced up again at the hundreds of eyes looking down, only to find hundreds of hands clapping. After the clapping stopped, the real meeting began and I wasn’t allowed to stay, being that it was official business, but nonetheless for the rest of the day I felt important, because on that day I found out that I thrive from public attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment