Thursday, March 6, 2014

Interning at NBC's Star-Studded Studio 6B


By Lauren Higgins

Getting to work on a television show has always been a dream of mine. As a Communication major, I have always known that I want to do something in the entertainment field. After my second year of college, I was fortunate enough to secure a summer internship at "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," where I was able to get hands-on experience of what it takes to produce a successful show in the legendary Studio 6B at Rockefeller Center in the heart of New York City.

Studio 6B has been home to several radio and television programs for decades. It has broadcasted game shows, news, and late night talk shows throughout the years and continues to entertain people today. Walking the halls backstage at Studio 6B brings to life all of the former hosts and stars to work on this famous stage. The walls are lined with pictures of game show hosts, newscasters, and late night hosts who called Studio 6B home. From old black and white telecasts to modern day high definition programs, Studio 6B has entertained millions across the nation.

As an intern, I had to do everything from getting coffee for celebrity guests to going on “runs” to return clothes for the wardrobe department or equipment for the camera crew. I was assigned to stand in during rehearsals, hand out monologue rehearsal tickets to people in the NBC Experience Store, and record the show as a backup in case anything went wrong with the original. As one of twenty interns, we were divided into different departments and each of us had the chance to work in the studio to rehearse for the show that day. It is unbelievable to think about how many legendary people were in the exact studio I had the honor of working in for those few months.

I am so grateful to have interned at "Late Night" last summer. It truly gave me the chance to see how much time and effort goes into creating a television show. As a production intern, I was able to see the inner workings of what goes on behind the camera. The internship helped me gain the knowledge I will need to prepare for my career. Getting to understand everything that goes into the production of the show is so fascinating and there is so much that goes on behind the scenes that the audience does not realize. Everyone in the staff has a purpose and they all work together in order to create a remarkable show each night.                              

Before I began the internship I didn’t really have an idea of what I wanted to do in the future. By getting the chance to help out with the producers, directors, and writers, I realized I definitely want to do something in production. I was privileged to have been able to spend my summer not only working with a great group of people, but also getting a firsthand look at what it takes to put a national television show together. Getting to work in one of the most famous television studios in the nation has opened so many doors and I look forward to see what is to come as it continues to make television history.



No comments:

Post a Comment